Past Continuous
We use past continuous for:
  • an action or situation in the past which was already happening when another action or situation happened(usually used with past simple).
  • an action or situation in the past which is interruped or stopped by another action or situation(usually used with past simple).
  • background information and description in a story.
  • two unfinished situations or events in progress at the same time.

Examples:

  1. I was talking down the street when I had a great idea.
  2. I was riding my bike when I had an accident.
  3. We got to the beach at half past two.hundreds of people were sunbathing on the golden sand.
  4. I was doing my homework while Dan was playing his comuter game.

Past Continuous:

positive:

  • I was eating.
  • you were eating.
  • she was eating.

negative:

  • I wasn´t eating.
  • you weren´t eating.
  • she wasn´t eating.

question:

  • Was I eating?
  • Were you eating?
  • Was she eating?